Plan to Eat
This high fiber soup is loaded with antioxidants, vitamin A, beta-carotene, mixed carotenoids, and minerals such as magnesium. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds to add a boost of immune enhancing zinc. Serve warm or chilled throughout the year.
Main Ingredient: Vegetables
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 3⁄4 cup water divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free milk (almond or coconut milk for dairy-free)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion top chopped
- 2 cups roasted salted pumpkin seeds
- In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Don’t let onion dry out.
- Add remaining water, pumpkin, broth, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and cook until hot.
- Don’t boil.
- Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with black pepper, green onion tops, and pumpkin seeds.
- Serve immediately.