Plan to Eat
This old fashioned gingerbread recipe is lightly sweetened with nutrient rich molasses. The ginger can be very soothing to the stomach and aids in digestion. Ginger is a warming food and combined with the nutritive molasses, makes a great fall treat.
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: 1 Loaf
- 1 3⁄4 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour (or flour substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 5 Tbsp butter softened at room temperature (Earth Balance is a great dairy-free substitute)
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- Heat oven to 350º F.
- Grease an 8 x 8 cake pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until light and creamy.
- Add the sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pour in the molasses in a slow, steady stream, beating all the while.
- Add half of the sifted dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the cold water and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35–40 mins.
- Let cool in the pan about 1 hour before serving.
- Cut the cake into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
- Yields: 16 two-inch pieces.